Thursday, 12 April 2012

Alighiero Boetti Inspiration!

I came across the designer Alighiero Boetti during my research and I was drawn to the amount of colour he uses in his work and how, like on the Map, he doesn't conform to the idealism that sea has to be blue on an image which really attracted my attention.  Another thing which stands out for me is the variety of different languages he includes within his work such as Persian, Urdu, English etc.  This made me realise that I can push my project further by looking at the shapes of letter forms and symbols of other languages and incorporating them im my own work.

I also came across his 24 lettere dall' Afghanistan (24 Letters from Afghanistan) which has inspired me to include really old family photographs, some sent from Yemen and from my own family in England which have messages written on the back in Arabic and English.  I want to also look into other interestingly shaped languages such as Hindi, Thai and also the Phoenician alphabet and Roman Numerals.  By including family photographs I feel like my project is gaining much more depth because it's more personal and hopefully this will result in some interesting outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment